Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Friday 1 January 2010

The 2000 Challenge, day 13: Memus to Brechin

The road east north east out of Memus leads to a bridge over the Noran Water, beyond which is HM Prison Noranside. Passing to the south of this, it runs more or less straight all the way to Brechin, where it passes under the A90 dual carriageway. It is not an unpleasant walk, as road walking goes, through open, rolling agricultural land with very little traffic. But there are precious few places where you can stop for a pee without being at risk of being seen by the occupants of a passing car, and there is nowhere you can stop to replenish your water supplies as all the watercourses are likely to be contaminated with agricultural chemicals.

As I walked through the streets of Brechin with my expedition sack, my antlers, and my walking poles I was mocked by some teenagers in school uniforms waiting for the bus to take them home. I ignored them, and went into a chippie to buy a can of Irn Bru and a packet of chips, then went down to the camp site by the river. I could practically smell the sea now, as I settled down for the final night of my Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment