Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Saturday 2 January 2010

The 2004 Challenge, Day 3: Through The Woods To Tomich

9 May 2004. My original route plan for this day had been to resume the ridge walk over Toll Creagach and Meall Mor to Hill 562, then take the path down to spot height 197 and the track through the woods north of the road to Cannich. However, Cannich youth hostel was closed for refurbishment and the hotel had no vacancies, so I had booked a room at the Tomich hotel instead and revised the route plan to cross the River Affric by the bridge at NH 283283, taking the track through the woods south of the Coire Loch and round to the bridge over the Abhainn Deabhag at NH301269. However, since my change of plan for day 2 meant I was already south of the River Affric, the plan changed yet again. I would instead follow the track south of Loch Beinn a' Mheadhoin and fork right at NH253260, then turn right at NH285257 and left at NH284256, continuing past Knockfin and so into Tomich.

It was a spectacularly unmemorable day's walking. The forestry tracks made for easy walking and the pine woods were - well, dense pine woods, planted for commercial logging. I remember the uphill stretches being relatively easy, and the final descent out of the woods being through lines and lines of log stacks waiting for the lorries.

The Tomich hotel is a charming little hotel, where I would happily stay again. I collected my resupply parcel from the receptionist, arranged for some laundry to be done overnight, and went out into the back garden to enjoy the afternoon sun. The garden stretches right to the Abhainn Deabhag, and I cooled my feet off by paddling in its clear waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment