Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Friday 26 September 2014

Cairngorms Expedition (1)

Now, when planning our holiday, I gave careful consideration to the fact that neither of us had been on an overnight ferry crossing before, and we did not know how well we would sleep. It was possible that we wouldn't sleep all that well, and that we might arrive back in Aberdeen dog tired and not fit to undertake the 500 mile drive home right away. So I thought it as well to finish with a few days at Rothiemurchus, just in case. Well, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

I'd brought all my expedition gear with me just in case the weather was fair, and as it was more than fair Mrs B sent me off into the Cairngorms by myself for a two day expedition to test my new trail shoes, while she set about enjoying the delights (such as they are) of Aviemore. I mentioned the cake shop which does gluten-free cakes, and advised her where to find it, in the hope that some cake might have found its way into the van by the time I returned, and then I set off. My plan was a simple one ... knock off Sgor Gaoith and Monadh Mor on day 1, camp by Loch nan Stuirteag, head up Sgor and Lochain Uaine, Cairn Toul and The Devil's Point on the morning of day 2, then head down to Corrour Bothy for lunch and return through the Lairig Ghru.

So off I went ... following the track into Gleann Eanaich. The Am Beanaidh (pictured) is a beautiful river, and I followed it as far as the Allt Ruigh na Sroine, where I had a good glug and refilled my water bottles, before back-tracking to the path junction and heading up the open hillside which is the Cadha Mor. This is a bit of a horrible heathery hillside; but it doesn't last for long, and soon I was on the ridge line and heading on up Greag Dhubh.

No comments:

Post a Comment