Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Tuesday 29 May 2012

The 2012 Challenge, Day 1: Lochailort to Oban (5)

I stopped for a glug at noon, a little way short of Meoble, having covered about 7km in a little under 3 hours. This rate of progress worried me a little, as it was a further 9 km to Oban bothy and I reckoned I really needed to be there by about 3pm if I was to have enough daylight to get up and over the Munro in safety and down to Corryhully bothy. I figured that maybe I'd be OK to carry on provided I was at Oban before 4 ... but any later than that, and I reckoned I was going to have an issue with finishing the day's planned route. Especially as, with the violent storm forecast for the following day, there was no way I wanted to risk being benighted on the ridge and spending the night at high altitude. So I pressed on past the steading south of Meoble, noting as I did so that the tractor shed to the west of the track would, in an emergency, offer a very acceptable overnight shelter; and then I headed up again beside the Allt Slaite Coire.

I stopped for lunch at 1pm and pressed on through the Slaite Coire and over the bealach. As I began my descent, this stunning view towards An Stac (that's a different An Stac from the one in the earlier photo: NM 866889 as opposed to NM 763793) opened up. Beinn Gharbh is to the right of An Stac; whilst the glens are Gleann Taodhail (left) and Gleann Cul an Staca (right).

No comments:

Post a Comment