Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Monday 28 May 2012

The 2012 Challenge: Getting to Lochailort (4)

The Lochailort Inn stands at the junction of the main road from Fort William to Mallaig, and the meandering road which runs from the Corran Ferry through Acharacle and up past Glenuig. I checked in and went to my room, where I unpacked my sleeping bag and fluffed it up a bit so as not to leave the down in a compressed state for too long, and applied a coat of wax to my boots. Then I decided it was time to go right right down to the sea's edge ... only, I couldn't make the lock on my room work. Try as I may, whatever I did, the door would still open. And when I fetched somebody from the hotel to show me how to do it properly, she couldn't make it work either! So she offered me another room, and I had to move all my gear ... and THEN I went down to the water's edge.

It is a short way from the inn to the water's edge, and I suppose I should really have carried my pack there and back. But I'd already unpacked a few things, so I left it in my room and went down without it. I went without my waterproofs, too, which may or may not have been a bad idea. There was a light drizzle falling, but nothing too worrisome. So I headed down in just my microfleece and hoped it would be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment