Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Sunday 29 May 2011

The 2011 Challenge, Prologue: getting to the start (12)



Now the Singing Sands is a truly beautiful, secluded beach; and I had it all to myself. I performed my solemn ritual of walking to the water's edge and dipping a walking pole into the waves to mark my formal departure from the East Coast, and then I sat a while and enjoyed being on the beach by myself. I took a few clothes off and ventured into the sea - which was cold, but enjoyable.


After a while, it began to rain a little, and I thought I ought to find a place to pitch my tent. Heading North along the beach I came to a little stream, and following it up beyond the tide line I found a beautiful spot with a broad flat sward, which had obviously been used as a camp site by others before me as there was a ring of stones marking out a fire place with a plentiful supply of firewood alongside. The two sheep which had been grazing when I arrived ambled off to eat elsewhere, and I pitched my tent in the rain.


After supper (cooked at the fireplace, during a brief lull in the rain) I tried to see whether I could get a fire going; but the wood was all wet and it soon became apparent that I should have little success. So I retired to my tent for the night.

2 comments:

  1. "to mark my formal departure from the East Coast"

    You didn't do the old 'Never Eat Shredded Wheat' before you typed that, did you?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Gayle ... I was wondering who would be the first to spot that one.

    It ought to have said "To mark my formal departure FOR the East coast" ... and if you believe that, you'll believe anything.

    OOPS!

    ReplyDelete