Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Sunday 26 June 2011

The 2011 Challenge, day 8: Kingussie to Cairngorm Lodge (1)


As I headed out by road past the impressive ruins of Ruthven barracks (burned by the Jacobites who had rallied there after Culloden, when Prince Charles Edward Stuart gave the famous order which effectively ended the Jacobite cause - "Let every man look to his own safety as best he may") the thing which struck me was that there had been an overnight snow in the Monadhliath behind me, and on the Cairngorm ahead of me, and that the snow was lying on the hills. I met an elderly lady walking her dogs who thought that it ought to melt off fairly quickly; but I wasn't so sure about that.

I wondered if any Challengers had been caught by the snow, wild camping up in the hills. They must have had a pretty rough night if they had been ...

No comments:

Post a Comment