Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Sunday 4 October 2015

The 2015 Challenge, day 4: through Glen Urquhart to Drumnadrochit (5)

From the bothy, our route took us on good tracks North North East to Corrimony, and then more or less Due East all the way to Drum. My route vetter had said "be sure not to miss the chambered cairn at Corrimony" but, to be honest, I am not sure I understand how anybody following this route CAN miss the chambered cairn at Corrimony. Even with the rain pelting down, and full weatherproofs (including hoods or hats) being worn, it is very prominently signposted, and just at the side of the road. And, it has to be said, it IS very impressive. On a fair day, I should probably have dropped my pack and crawled through the narrow (and low!) entrance passageway to have a good look around inside. Today, however, I was not going to do that, as there was a big muddy puddle in the passageway and I was not going to go crawling through that (what a difference 40 odd years makes to one's attitudes to such things!!)

Beyond Corrimony, we came to the "bus shelter" where we stopped for lunch. The sun came out as we sat there eating, so we took our waterproofs off; but the rain returned just as we were ready to depart, so we put them back on again. Between here and Shenval, an otter ran across the track and disappeared into the woods again. It was too quick for me to deploy my camera and get a photograph of it; but at least I saw it. Alan, who had not been looking ahead at the time, saw only the movement as it disappeared into the woods, but professed that he had been unable to identify what manner of creature it was. There was no doubt in my mind, however, that this was an otter - only the second I have seen in the wild. My first otter (which, again, was too quick for me to photograph) had been in Shetland the previous summer. (Ah! The summer of 2014: when we took holidays at opposite extremes of the British isles: the Shetland Islands, and the Isles of Scilly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment