Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Saturday 31 October 2015

The 2015 Challenge, day 5: Drumnadrochit to Dalbeg (8)

I passed the war memorial at NH 546207, and then turned left and crossed the bridge over Loch Mhor (pictured). At Wester Aberchalder I encountered a farmer who was interested to know my route, so I showed him my maps and explained by intention to follow the track to the Allt an Rathain Ruaidh, then turn more or less due East and ascend the ridge to the south of the Aberchalder Burn, finally turning in over Meall a' Bhuailt and Beinn Bhuraich to Carn na Saobhaidhe - the second Corbett on my route card. The farmer politely asked me not to go onto the open hillside, because of ground-nesting birds.

Now, if the farmer had tried telling me where I could and couldn't go, then I should have told him about the Land Reform (Scotland) Act. But he didn't. He asked: and that makes all the difference, as far as I am concerned. I am not into messing with anybody's livelihood, and those ground nesting birds are important to him. So I agreed to go via Easter Aberchalder. This was my FWA in any event - through Conaglen and on the track up the Allt Uisg an-t Sidhein. It was a few kilometres further, but the going would be easier, and I had oodles of time in hand as I had had to take the early morning boat. So I turned around and headed to Easter Aberchalder.

No comments:

Post a Comment