Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Sunday 25 May 2014

The 2014 Challenge, day 1: Mulling It Over (3)

At the appointed hour the Tobermory ferry - the MV Loch Linnhe - came into the bay and berthed at the ferry slip. I boarded, forgetting to dip my pole into the sea before (or as) I did so. I omitted this particular ritual on my first Challenge, in 2000, as well. On that occasion I had taken the ferry from Mallaig to Inverey. Obviously, therefore, if you are being carried across the sea at the beginning of your Challenge, it is not actually necessary to make any connection with the sea itself to signify the start of the crossing, as you cannot be much more closely connected to the sea than being in a boat which is ON it. Well, that's the excuse I came up with when I realized my omission, and it seems reasonably plausible to me, so we'll leave it at that.

The crossing to Tobermory was as perfect as could be hoped for. The sea was smooth and calm, and the little ferry boat steadily made its way across until finally it reached the Tobermory slip and dropped its ramp. The cars drove ashore, and I followed on foot; and now, after so many years of wondering how to achieve it, I was on Mull as part of a Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment