Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Saturday 31 May 2014

The 2014 Challenge, day 5: Down (but not out) to Kinlochleven (7)

What can I say about walking the West Highland Way into Kinlochleven on Tuesday 13 May 2014? Not all that much, really. The WHW here follows the line of the old military road. It is well engineered, it is well surfaced, and it is well trodden. There were many walkers heading towards Fort William; comparatively few (but some) heading away from Fort William. As I emerged from the woods South West of Meall a' Chaorainn, I met a small group of walkers coming the other way, one of whom had several cans of Irn Bru in a pocket of his rucksack. At that precise moment in time I could just murder an Irn Bru, so I asked if he'd sell me one. He said he'd happily give me one to lighten his load, and then asked if I had any painkillers. I had, so we exchanged wares, and I drank my Irn Bru with relish.

A bit further on, I sat for a while and chatted with a couple of late teenage girls, who were experiencing the joys of long distance walking for the first time. They were surprised at how difficult it was; but I got the impression they were enjoying themselves and that they would certainly be back for more.

I stopped for lunch at Lairigmor. The ruins had some good firm stones on which to set up my stove, so I decided to heat up the food I had not eaten the previous evening. The picture shows the view of the path as I headed away from Lairigmor, with Stob Coire na h-Eirghe in the background. Soon after this, I was able to look up to my left and see Stob Ban on the skyline. I also saw several figures making their way towards the ridge which I had not dared attempt. I watched with interest. They appeared to turn back.

No comments:

Post a Comment