Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Saturday 31 May 2014

The 2014 Challenge, day 4: One Munro but no Mamore (7)

After a while, we came to a little hillock with the ruined remains of quite a substantial crofting settlement, from which we could look down on Lochan Lunn Da Bhra. This must have been a truly magical place to live - the surrounding landscape is quite stunning - and we tried to imagine what it must have been like when there was a vibrant crofting settlement here. We did not stay too long, however: I was keenly aware of the fact that the main mountain ridge in the background was the ridge which I should need to ascend, and I was anxious to reach Lundavra before lunch if possible.

In the event, it was eminently possible. We stopped for lunch a little way North East of Lundavra, overlooking the lochan, and then continued to Blar a' Chaorainn where our paths diverged. Bernie turned right onto the West Highland Way, whilst I turned left. I found myself overhauling a number of footsore West Highland Wayers with light day sacks. I exchanged a few words with some of them, but for the most part they weren't very talkative. After a kilometer or so, I saw a convenient gate that would let me out onto the open hillside and give me access to the north ridge of Meall a' Chaorainn, so I headed for this and was soon on my own once again with nothing for company but the majestic highland landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment