Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Friday 26 August 2016

The 2016 Challenge, day 1: Oban to Taynuilt (1)

I woke nice and early, and gave myself some Ambronite for breakfast. It had seemed to work for me in Snowdonia, so I was keen to see how I got on with it on Challenge. I then gave my pack one last check, and headed down to reception. The Challenge Register was already there, so I signed it and set off.

It was about 7.30 in the morning as I left the Youth Hostel behind me and headed back round Oban bay. The Caledonian MacBrayne ferries to and from the Hebrides were busily coming and going, and so I paused to take a photo, and then pressed on. As I passed through Oban, I vaguely wondered about replacement batteries for my GPS. But it was too early for any of the shops to be open, so I put it to the back of my mind and carried on.

Most Challengers who go from Oban to Taynuilt head out on the Glencruitten road and then through Glen Lonan. So this is what I didn't do. I had planned instead to head South out of Oban on the A816, then take the track past the livestock market and Upper Soroba into the woods, then the track looping round Cnoc Mor to Killiechoinich. From there I would head North to the junction with the Glen Lonan road, whereas those who had taken the Glencruitten route would be coming Southwards. I fully expected to meet somebody at the junction coming in the opposite direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment