Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Saturday 27 August 2016

The 2016 Challenge, day 2: Taynuilt to Dalmally (12)

The ridge between the two Munros was a glorious ridge to walk. Like all ridges linking two Munros, it had a well defined path, worn by the boots of many Munroists who had been there before me ... but how many of them had been there on a day such as this?

I strode out, and 40 minutes after topping out on Beinn a' Chochuill I was at the col, contemplating the ascent of Beinn Eunaich. I'd done a lot of walking and a lot of climbing, my water was running low, it was hot, and it was a quarter to four in the afternoon. I had a lot of walking, and a lot more Munros ahead of me. It would be foolish to jeopardise all of that by over-stretching myself on my first mountain day of the crossing. And so I looked at the corrie to my right, and it looked like a viable descent, so I decided to give my second Munro a miss. I had sufficient mountains on my card that missing a single Munro early in the crossing wouldn't seriously affect my chances of achieving a High Level crossing. And I didn't want to miss dinner ...

No comments:

Post a Comment