Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Saturday 27 August 2016

The 2016 Challenge, day 3: Dalmally to Tyndrum (1)

OK, so I'll start with a little confession. Day 3 wasn't SUPPOSED to end at Tyndrum. It was supposed to end at the shielings in Gleann a' Chlachain above Auchtertyre, but things didn't go quite according to plan and ... well, read on, and you'll see what happened for yourselves.

The day started well enough. I had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast, and I hit the road just after 9.30. It was another bright, sunny day and I wore my waterproof Havelock, not because of the rain, but to keep the sun off my head, neck and ears.

I headed East out of Dalmally on the main A85, and after 3 kilometres of road walking I came to the track to Succoth. My plan was to follow this past Succoth Lodge, then follow the power lines to the edge of the woods, follow the edge of the woods North East, then head due North up onto the ridge and so to the summit of Beinn a'Chleibh. I would then walk the ridge to Ben Lui, and descend by way of the Stob an Tighe Aird ridge, cross the Allt an Rund, and then follow the track down the River Cononish.

That, as I say, was the plan ... and I was definitely up for another two Munro day (or, rather, my first two Munro day of the crossing, seeing as how the previous day I had opted out of my second Munro). And so I turned off the road and followed the track towards Succoth.

No comments:

Post a Comment