Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Monday 29 August 2016

The 2016 Challenge, day 5: Killin to Fortingall (19)

The Lawers Burn path eventually becomes a charming woodland walk; and soon after taking this photo I was down at the road. Alvar rang me back to say that the hotel would be sending a car for me, and I browsed in the horn-worker's shop while waiting for it to arrive.

When I got to the hotel, I had a bath and calmed myself down, and then thought about what I should need to do next. One thing that was certain was that I would not be walking the next day; so I arranged an extra night in the hotel, and rearranged my booking at Killiecrankie. I texted my wife. She was going to come and join me for a few days at the end of the Challenge; but if she could have taken some extra leave I would have withdrawn there and then, so that we could enjoy a longer holiday together. But her work diary was full, and she couldn't take the extra leave at short notice.

There was another Challenger in the hotel that night - Laura Liddell. We had supper together, and I told her what had happened. She was absolutely wonderfully supportive, and we agreed that I would walk (without a pack) as far as Aberfeldy with her the following day. I would then turn back to the hotel at Fortingall while she carried on. I thought I should be OK for that - a low level walk, in company, without a pack. And if I should have any more panic attacks, there would be somebody there for me. If I could make it to Aberfeldy without having another panic attack, I was fairly confident I could make it back OK, too.

1 comment:

  1. Bloody hell, Jezza!
    That was a nasty shock! And nasty shocks when on your own are even nastier. It's good to hear that you made it out okay, Sir.
    Phew!

    ReplyDelete