Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Monday 29 August 2016

The 2016 Challenge, day 5: Killin to Fortingall (18)

The path beside the Lawers Burn is well-made and excellent walking; it is just a pity that I was in no fit state to enjoy it properly. As I followed it I kept pausing to check for mobile reception, and eventually, at the East Mealour shielings, I got a signal.

I rang Challenge Control, and Alvar answered. I announced myself. I guess he sensed something was wrong from my voice, for the first thing he asked was "Are you alright?"

"No," was my direct and blunt answer.

I told Alvar, briefly, what had happened. "I'm still in one piece physically," I said. "But mentally and emotionally I'm all over the place."

Alvar asked if I'd like him to see if the Fortingall Hotel could send a car out to pick me up when I got down to the road, and I said that yes, that would be a good idea. I really didn't fancy the idea of having another panic attack on the side of a busy road with traffic passing close beside me, even though this meant that I should not be able to claim a complete crossing. At that precise moment, this was the least of my worries. I wasn't even sure I should be able to continue in any event.

No comments:

Post a Comment