Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Monday 29 August 2016

The 2016 Challenge, day 5: Killin to Fortingall (6)

The map shows the vehicle track curving away to the North, and joining the little yellow road about half a kilometer North West of the "visitor centre" car park; but there is in fact a well made path, not shown on the map, which "cuts the corner" and saves perhaps half a kilometer of walking. This is used by Munroists heading up Meall nan Tarmachan, and was doubtless laid to save erosion and wear to the moorland across which it runs.

As I followed this path, my heart was slowly sinking; for the cloud showed no sign of lifting and, indeed, if anything it was closing in. I had wanted another fine, clear day with spectacular views from the Lawers ridge, but it didn't appear that I was going to get one. There was no wind to speak of, and the clouds were showing no inclination to drop their precipitation, so I did not think that a diversion onto my FWA was called for. After all, there would be a clear, well-defined Munrosits' path all the way along this ridge. But all the same, I was a little apprehensive about this lack of visibility. On the positive side, though, it would limit my water consumption, which had to be a good thing as there were no resupply sources up on the ridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment