Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Friday 26 August 2016

The 2016 Challenge, day 1: Oban to Taynuilt (11)

We reached Taynuilt at about 3 in the afternoon, and made a beeline for the Robin's Nest coffee shop. This look us past the memorial seat commemorating 2nd Lieutenant William Macrae, one of many casualties of the War to End All Wars, and I couldn't help but notice that we were here the day after the centenary of his death.

After taking suitable refreshment in the coffee shop my companions headed on,. They were wild camping. I, however, had booked into the Taynuilt hotel. I had a remarkably high number of hotels planned as overnight stops this year; but that was because I had a remarkably large number of Munros and Corbetts planned, too; and I reckoned with all those high level heroics I would need a fair amount of pampering, too. And tomorrow was my first mountain day, with a ridge of two Munros to be attempted. So I wanted a good rest and a good meal. Well, that's how I justified it to myself, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment