Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Friday 6 June 2014

The 2014 Challenge, day 9: Dalwhinnie to Ruigh-aiteachain (10)

The track up into Coire Chuaich was not particularly remarkable, although it had its moments, such as the burn which flows down out of the little corrie between Creag Liath and A'Mharconaich (pictured).

By the time I had reached NN 720867, and decision time, I was adamant that I was not going to go over the Bogha-cloiche; so I turned left and made my way through the bealach. There is no path, but the route is not difficult, and I was soon following the upper Allt na Fearna down into its glen. Here, however, I ran into difficulty: the valley floor is narrow, and the good going switches rather too frequently from one side of the stream to the other, with the going on the "wrong" side varying from poor to utterly impracticable. It is possible to cross the stream, but not always easily so; and before long I was getting decidedly fed up of making marginal stream crossings, only to have to cross back shortly after. I was, I was sure, beyond the worst of the Bogha-cloiche; so I just angled off to the right, gaining height until I found myself on a broad, open expanse of ground which can only have been in grid square NN 7488. Here I sat for a while, just enjoying the desolate solitude of the place. Then I took a GPS location fix; used this to take a bearing to the Tromie dam from the map (absolutely due East, as it turned out); checked this bearing on the ground, and set off in the direction of the dam.

No comments:

Post a Comment