Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Monday 4 June 2012

The 2012 Challenge, Day 13: Tarfside to Fettercairn (4)

Another lovely little off-road diversion was provided by the track down to Haughend, and then back up to the road. This one is shown on the map; and I stopped on the track back up to the road for my 12 o'clock glug stop. Then, soon after I had rejoined the road, I heard a vehicle approaching from behind. I moved over to the side of the road to make as much room for it as I could, but the vehicle pulled up alongside me. It was Alvar and Ann, in their camper van, heading down to Montrose for the Thursday festivities. They kindly refilled my water bottles with fresh water, which was most welcome, and told me that in fact I wsan't the Challenge tailender after all as they had passed another Challenger a couple of miles back who had said she was heading for North Water Bridge campsite. A lot of Challengers head for that campsite after Tarfside; but I was headed for the Ramsay Arms hotel in Fettercairn.

Soon after Alvar and Ann had left me, I made a discovery which instantly dispelled any regrets I may have had about staying north of the river and on the road - and that was the riverside path through the Rocks of Solitude and past The Burn to the Blue Door. If you look very closely on the map this IS shown; but there is a boundary line along the river and other fussy detail which makes it very easy to miss. However, there was a nice notice board with the paths clearly shown, and I didn't need a second invitation!

No comments:

Post a Comment