Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Saturday 14 November 2015

The 2015 Challenge, day 14: Becoming a Leg End (6)

This is the supposed site of the Battle of Nechtansmere; and the "mere" itself is the low lying ground which would have been a lot wetter back then than it is today.

Is it the site of the battle, though? When I got home from the Challenge, I looked it up; and apparently, although this is the "traditional" site of the battle, that attribution is now hotly contested. Some folk think it was somewhere else. So there you have it: this MIGHT be where the Picts routed the Northumbrians 1,330 years age ... but then again, it might not. I'll leave you to read up the sources, if you are interested, and decide for yourself ...

No comments:

Post a Comment