Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Wednesday 6 November 2013

The 2013 Challenge, day 5: The Braes o' Lochaber (7)

And so I came to the Monessie bridge.

It was there alright ... and it had a warning sign saying that no more than two people should be on the bridge at any one time. Well, that wasn't a problem. There was only the one of me. So I crossed, and then followed the track to a little bridge over the railway line and up to the road. As I did so, I stopped to talk with an elderly lady who was tending her garden. She told me that when she was a child, she and her friends had used to go and jump up and down on the bridge to make it bounce. I wondered what the engineer would have had to say about that! She also reminisced about walking the trackway of the old tramway (or "wee puggy", as she called it), and told me that upstream of the bridge there were plenty of places where you could ford the River Spean with no difficulty, as it was seldom much more than calf deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment