Woohoo! I've discovered how to add a few little tick boxes at the bottom of each post, to enable readers to record their reactions. Do please use them. I think I've identified the four most likely responses ...

Tuesday 5 November 2013

The 2013 Challenge, day 2: Out Of (Rough) Bounds (2)

As I headed South on the falling ground, I came to a river in a deep defile. I had mobile signal here, so I texted Challenge Control to let them know my situation, circumstances and intention. Shortly after this I dropped out of the cloud and was able to get a good look at the river below me. As best I could judge, not being right at the side of the river and so unable to take an accurate bearing, it appeared to be running more or less West to East. Looking at the map I realised that there was only one steep-sided East-West glen in these parts, and that was Glen Beasdale. So I sent a further text to Challenge Control informing them that I believed the glen I was following to be Glen Beasdale.

The only thing, of course, was that there was NO WAY I could have got to Glen Beasdale. The country I had been traversing simply did not match any possible route that would have taken me to Glean Beasdale; and a moment's careful consideration of the map would have revealed this. But then again ... so what? The glen would lead me, sooner or later, down to the road; and once I was there I would be safe, and able to continue as (re)planned. That was all that mattered to me at that particular moment.

And so I followed the glen downstream, high up on the hillside, looking for an opportunity to get down to the water's edge but not immediately seeing anything promising. But at least I was out of the cloud now, and able to see clear to the dull grey waters of Loch Nan Uamh and a pretty little necklace of offshore islets. That was very reassuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment